(Editor’s note: we get paid a small commission if you make a purchase through the links on this page. It doesn’t cost you anything, but it helps us keep the lights on over here. Thank you for your support!)
The Mr. Stacky 5-Tier Strawberry Planter Pot is our best strawberry planter overall.
Growing strawberries at home can be fun and rewarding. It doesn’t matter whether you live in a large property with a garden or a small apartment with a balcony. There’s a way to grow your own strawberries effectively.
Choosing the best strawberry planters is the first step. This will be your strawberries’ home, and if you want them to grow well, they need to be happy where you plant them.
Even if you don’t have a balcony, there’ll be a planter for you to grow healthy strawberries indoors.
Reviews of the Best Strawberry Planters
Mr. Stacky 5-Tier Strawberry Planter Pot –– Best Strawberry Planter Overall
- Soil Volume: 24 Quarts - Free standing or easily create grow towers off the ground using 3/4" Pipe.
Mr. Stacky planters allow you to stack pot layers on top of one another. It provides growing space for 20 plants without taking up much room. You can add an additional two layers to this planter so you can grow more strawberry plants.
It’s self-standing and comes with a drip tray to catch excess water. You’d only water the top tier, and this would filter down evenly to the others.
You’re able to use the planter indoors or outdoors. If you live in a climate with harsh winters, being able to bring the planter inside will help protect your strawberries for the next growing season.
It’s made from food-grade plastic, making it safe to grow your fruit in. Make sure you leave some space around the planter so you can reach the plants at the back.
- Doesn’t require much space.
- Can add additional layers.
- Made from food-grade plastic.
- This planter doesn’t feature an easy rotation system.
Kingbuy Hanging Basket Planter — Best Hanging Basket
- Soil Volume: 24 Quarts - Free standing or easily create grow towers off the ground using 3/4" Pipe.
You can place this hanging strawberry planter just about anywhere. The sturdy frame is made from steel that’s powder-coated to protect it from the weather.
It has an eco-friendly coconut husk liner, which allows for water drainage but will keep the soil moist enough for the strawberries between waterings. It will also protect your plants from colder temperatures.
You’d be able to plant two individual strawberry plants in a basket, but this won’t give you an abundance of strawberries to harvest. Depending on how many strawberries you’d like, you may need more than the two hanging baskets in each set.
- Coconut husk liner (drainage).
- Weather-resistant finish.
- Strong steel construction.
- Comes in various sizes.
- You may need to do some DIY to hang these baskets on a balcony.
Reeyox Strawberry Grow Bag — Best Grow Bag
- 【Innovative Design】Reeyox strawberry grows bag design with 8 side pockets, perfect for Strawberries' shallow roots. Plus you can add even more plants to the open top. Reinforced handle allows you...
- 【Breathable Material】Made of double-layered thick non-woven fabric, which is lightweight and breathable. It makes the roots extend freely, get more oxygen, percolates the excess water quickly, and...
- 【Durable & Reusable】The planting bags are made of premium material, sturdy enough for reusable use. You can repeat planting other vegetables after finished. Grow bags fold for storage and are...
The Reeyox grow bag has eight side pockets for you to grow individual strawberry plants in. This means the plants will have plenty of soil and space for their roots. It also helps to create an environment for air root pruning. This allows the roots to grow more laterally, getting more nutrients and resulting in the plant producing more fruit.
The material is a breathable, long-lasting fabric that allows water to pass through it. This means that the strawberries’ roots won’t sit in water, which could lead to them rotting, but the bag keeps the soil moisturized between waterings.
Reinforced handles allow you to move the bag easily, and it can be used indoors or outdoors as it’s relatively compact. If you want lots of strawberries, you may need more than one bag for a decent harvest—luckily, this is a set of two.
- Made from breathable and durable fabric.
- Permeable fabric for drainage.
- Reinforced carry handles.
- Air root pruning.
- The pockets could be larger; you may need to squish wider plants in.
GROWNEER 15 Inches Terracotta Window Box — Best Window Box
- WHAT YOU GET -- 6 pcs window planters; comes with 15 pcs plant labels, providing convenient for you to identify your plants by marking their name on the labels.
- PERFECT SIZE -- Planter: length 15”, width 6.8”; tray: length 15.7”, width 6.3”; the total height: 4.9”, including planter and tray. The planter is suitable for indoor outdoor plants,...
- HIGH QUALITY -- The planter box is made of premium plastic, which is durable, eco-friendly and allows you to reuse the planter for several seasons. The attached tray can store water drained out of the...
If you live in an apartment with little space, then this window box would be perfect for you. It comes in two different sizes—15 inches or 17 inches—which would fit on a window sill. This set of six window boxes also come with drip trays that have raised feet, which allows for better drainage and airflow.
The eco-friendly plastic is made to last, and they can be reused when your strawberries have gone through their harvesting seasons. You’re limited to how many plants you cultivate, which can mean a smaller harvest for you.
If you have enough space on your window sill, you can add more window boxes, allowing for an abundance of strawberries.
- Raised pot feet for better drainage.
- Comes with drip trays.
- Made from eco-friendly, durable plastic.
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
- The design is small, so you’d need to plant strawberries in more than one box.
Mr. Stacky Self Watering 3 Tier Stackable Garden — Worth a Mention
- Smart, Simple,
- (3) Mr Stacky Planters
If you have a small balcony and are limited for growing space, you’ll find the three-tiered planter to be a great addition. At 12 by 12 by 18 inches, you’ll find the planter won’t take up a lot of space.
You can grow 12 individual strawberry plants in this planter, and with its smart design, you’ll only have to pour water in the first layer. The rest of the water will filter down to the bottom two tiers and catch in the drip tray.
You’d only be able to plant individual plants in the pot pockets, and they can be a bit small, so you’d have to ensure that you remove additional strawberry runners. If you don’t have a balcony, you can still use the three-tier stackable garden indoors. This will allow you to cultivate your strawberries without any mess.
- Can choose from two size options and four colors.
- You’re able to add additional levels.
- Lightweight, even with soil.
- Total height is 18 inches.
- The plant pockets may be small.
Types of Strawberry Planters
There are many ways to grow strawberries, even if you don’t have a big garden. You can use strawberry planters, hanging baskets, and window boxes. These will allow you to plant strawberries in the comfort of your own home.
The best planters for strawberries don’t take up much space, and some, like the Mr Stacky, allow you to choose from a single layer pot up to six layers.
If you have a garden, prepare a raised garden bed to plant strawberry seeds or runners. A raised bed will help provide good drainage and soft soil. It will also prevent grass and weeds from sneaking into your strawberry patch.
Remember that strawberries thrive in soft soil. Raised garden beds also provide the best protection from foot traffic that could possibly compact the soil around the plant.
Hanging Pots or Baskets
If you don’t have a garden, then using a strawberries planter will allow you to produce many plants without taking up too much space. You can also use hanging strawberry pots or a hanging basket.
Most small hanging baskets, pot planters and strawberry bags can hold between six and eight strawberry plants, which will produce quite a bit of fruit. Depending on how much space you have, you could have more than one strawberry planter or more than one level for growing strawberries.
Window boxes are perfect planters for growing a fair amount of strawberries if you live in an apartment without a balcony. Choose from wood, plastic, and even fabric window boxes, as strawberries thrive in most containers.
Make sure you put your window box somewhere that gets a good amount of sunlight and has good air circulation. A bonus of using a window box is that the strawberries would be protected from slugs and possible diseases. You’re also able to keep an eye on your strawberries as they ripen.
Photo by Esi Grünhagen from Pixabay
FAQs About Strawberry Planters
What Is the Best Planter for Strawberries?
Strawberries are relatively easy to cultivate in containers, but you’ll need to be mindful that each one needs its own space. When you’re looking for a planter, you should consider which one would best suit your needs, as well as the space available in your home.
Do Strawberries Grow Well in Strawberry Pots?
Strawberries flourish in strawberry pots but will still need love and attention. Make sure you plant them in high-quality soil and feed them weekly with a high potash fertilizer. They also need six to eight hours of sunlight, with an inch of water every day.
Do Strawberries Grow Better in Pots or Ground?
There are a number of things to factor in, but generally, strawberries do equally as well in the ground as they do in a strawberry planter. If you’re using a planter you don’t have to worry about weeds, snails, or slugs getting to your strawberries. If you’ve planted strawberries in the ground, you’ll have to protect your strawberries from the critters.
As long as the strawberries are getting a good amount of sunlight, daily water, and high-quality fertilizer, they’ll thrive in the ground or pots.
How Deep Should a Strawberry Planter Be?
The root ball of a strawberry isn’t big, and they can be grown successfully in pots that are 12 inches in diameter and 8 inches deep. As long as your planter has a depth of 8 to 10 inches, your strawberries should be happy.
Photo by lccarvalho on Shutterstock
If you have limited space and want to have an abundance of strawberries, you’ll want a strawberry planter to allow a number of plants in a small space. The Mr. Stacky 5-Tier Strawberry Planter Pot is our best strawberry planter overall.
This planter will allow you to have an abundance of strawberries throughout the summer.