BEST BUDGET OPTION: AeroGarden Harvest Indoor Garden, 2019 Model
BEST FOR EXPERIENCED GARDENERS: AeroGarden Farm Plus 24"
EASY SETUP: AeroGarden Stainless Steel Harvest Elite
LARGEST COUNTERTOP MODEL: AeroGarden Bounty Basic Indoor Hydroponic Herb Garden
MOST DURABLE & DECORATIVE: AeroGarden Stainless Steel Bounty Elite
BEST FOR NEWBIES: AeroGarden Sprout LED Gourmet Herb Seeds
(Editor’s note: we get paid a small commission if you make a purchase through the links on this page. It doesn’t cost you anything, but it helps us keep the lights on over here. Thank you for your support!)
Are you tired of planting expensive seeds, only to discover they’re rotting before the first harvest?
Whether it’s because of ill-nourished soil, overwatering, or water deficiency, seeds sometimes fail to thrive in the garden.
If this is a familiar scenario, it’s time to consider an AeroGarden to forget about those difficulties.
Try these smart devices to grow healthy plants with your hands down!
Table of Contents
- What Is an AeroGarden and How Does an Aerogarden Work?
- What to Look for When Buying
- How to Clean AeroGarden Kits
- Common Issues with Aerogarden Kits
- Is the AeroGarden Worth It?
- AeroGarden Reviews: Which AeroGarden Is Best?
- AeroGarden Bounty Basic Indoor Hydroponic Herb Garden⏤The Largest Countertop Model
- AeroGarden Stainless Steel Bounty Elite⏤Most Durable and Decorative Option
- AeroGarden Harvest Indoor Garden, 2019 Model⏤Budget Option
- Although the manufacturer has been clear about including a plant food package, some customers report receiving packages without it.
- AeroGarden Stainless Steel Harvest Elite⏤Easy Setup
- AeroGarden Sprout LED Gourmet Herb Seeds⏤Best for Novice Gardeners
- AeroGarden Farm Plus 24″⏤Best for Experienced Gardeners
- Frequently Asked Questions
But before we get stuck into the reviews, check out our guide below on everything you need to know before buying.
What Is an AeroGarden and How Does an Aerogarden Work?
AeroGardens are a range of hydroponic planting devices that help you grow herbs, fruits, and flowers in indoor conditions.
When using these smart devices, you no longer need to worry about sunlight, nutritious soil, or watering times.
They use electricity to produce light for your plants. They also have a plastic or metal water container, an air pump to transfer oxygen to the roots and a plate to hold the seed pots.
So, all you need to do is place the herbs into seed pods, and then put them into the holes in the tray. The system will notify you when you need to fill the water reservoir, and it takes care of the rest of the responsibilities.
More advanced variants may also come with touchscreens, digital displays, Wi-Fi capabilities and Alexa connectivity for complete remote control.
So, What Can You Grow in an Aerogarden?
You can grow a variety of seeds in an AeroGarden.
Low-growing herbs and vegetables grow best in them, which includes:
- Cherry tomatoes.
- Chili peppers.
- Green beans.
However, with a higher grow neck and more space, you can also grow taller plants, such as:
It’s challenging to grow the following in an AeroGarden kit, but not impossible:
What to Look for When Buying
From price to capacity and features, consider the below factors before committing to an AeroGarden:
The number of herbs you can grow in an AeroGarden is the first thing you should consider before buying.
Are you going to grow one or two of your favorite vegetables? Or, do you want to produce all of your salad greens and foods in it? How many seed pods do you need?
The vertical space between your pot tray and grow lamp is called the “grow neck.”
Depending on what kind of herb you’re going to plant, you should choose an AeroGarden with enough growing neck to accommodate full growth.
Adaptable Grow Light Settings
Each plant has different light requirements, meaning you can’t grow every type of herb with a single light setting.
So, opt for a device with more flexibility.
For example, the Bounty Basic can automatically turn on/off the lights. With the AeroGarden Farm 24″, you can set a different intensity for each side. And, you can customize the grow light setting with the AeroGarden Sprout LED.
The grow light should be 1 or 2 inches above the maturing plants. If the plants are too far from the light, they won’t get enough light supply to grow.
Therefore, other than the light’s radiation or duration, the lamp arm should also be adjustable.
All AeroGardens include a control panel to manage their operations. For example, they feature buttons to turn the lights off/on, and they notify you when to add water or nutrients.
Even better, some go beyond that.
Other excellent control panel features to look out for are the vacation mode, touch screen, and digital display.
Ease of Setup
Before buying an AeroGarden kit, make sure they come with an easy-to-follow manual.
AeroGarden planters are rather costly, so make sure they grow your plants to harvest size.
With this, if any of the seed pods failed to sprout, you can call the Aerogarden Customer Service Department to resolve your problem.
While having some benefits, GMO products can cause many health problems. For example, they can increase the risk of breast cancer, cause gluten sensitivity, or neurological, pancreatic, and liver problems.
So, although GMO products can help to improve the growth of your seeds and nutritional content, it’s wiser to go with non-GMO seeds because they’re safer and healthier.
How to Clean AeroGarden Kits
Once you’ve successfully harvested the plants, it’s time to clean your kit:
- First, unplug the device.
- Remove the pod tray, pump filter and water bowl.
- Use a brush to wipe the remaining roots off the filter.
- Wash the tray with a sponge and detergent.
For cleaning the bowl:
- Make a mixture of water and a sanitizer, such as bleach or white vinegar— 1-quarter cup of bleach or 5 cups of white vinegar.
- Fill the bowl with the mixture.
- Turn the pump on to circulate the contents.
- Empty the bowl.
- Rinse it thoroughly.
Common Issues with Aerogarden Kits
While AeroGarden kits are incredibly popular and provide many benefits, be aware of the below issues:
Poor or Irregular Growth
Customer reports suggest that plants can grow poorly in AeroGardens.
But, these problems aren’t always linked to the device’s performance.
High water temperature, nutrient deficiency/surplus, and insect invasion are some factors that can prevent your plants from germinating, rather than it being specific to the unit.
Algae is a kind of water contamination that occurs when the light beams touch the water. Ironically, this is exactly how an AeroGarden works—a contribution of water with light.
When you turn on the hydroponic device, LEDs hit the seed pots and the water tank below them. So, as it continues working, the algae may start to bloom. If the area contains algae, this process happens faster.
Small amounts of algae aren’t visually detectable and not very harmful. But, if these microscopic organisms have brown, blue, or red coats inside your Aero Garden water tub, it means they’ve grown excessively and can harm your plants.
In these cases, you can flush the device or rinse and sterilize the water reservoir. Adding a small amount of hydrogen peroxide can also help.
Also called the “aerator” or “bubbler,” an AeroGarden pump should operate efficiently. Otherwise, your plants won’t get enough oxygen to grow.
It’s good to ensure the pump’s quality is excellent before buying one. But, if it stops working after a while, you can easily replace it.
Even so, make sure the problem isn’t with the pipes before replacing the pump. Sometimes, the pipes become corroded, and there’s nothing wrong with the pump itself.
Too Bright Light
Although necessary for your plants’ growth, sometimes, the grow light in an AeroGarden can disturb your family because they’re too bright at night.
Luckily, it doesn’t take much to address the problem.
All you need is to put the device in a less-crowded room or schedule it to stop working at night. Ideally, your hydroponic device should start glowing in the morning and turn off before 7 pm.
Is the AeroGarden Worth It?
Buying an Aerogarden is worth it because it can give you veggies for months to come. Although they may seem a little expensive at first glance, the money will return after just four months because some items will be automatically excluded from your shopping list.
Besides, when using hydroponic technology, you don’t need to buy pesticides to control insect infestation.
Check out the AeroGarden reviews below to decide for yourself!
AeroGarden Reviews: Which AeroGarden Is Best?
AeroGarden Bounty Basic Indoor Hydroponic Herb Garden⏤The Largest Countertop Model
- AeroGarden Bounty Basic hydroponic garden grows up to 9 of your favorite herbs, veggies, or flowers indoors and year-round, without soil
- 30W LED grow light gives your plants the full spectrum of light they need to grow quickly - up to 5x faster than in soil
- Automatic lighting timer and touchscreen control panel allow for easy upkeep, while vacation mode keeps your plants healthy while you're out of town
Bounty models provide the biggest growing spaces among countertop AeroGarden kits. So, if you wish to grow larger plants inside your house, we suggest you go with the Bounty Basic Herb Garden.
It’s a non-GMO planter that produces 100 percent natural plants, and it’s better for your family and the environment.
The manufacturer also guarantees 100 percent growth for sprouts, which means you’re sure to grow organic produce for your family.
It has nine pods with enough room for intensive fruits and veggies, such as peppers, tomatoes, and beetroots. These pods can handle plants up to 24 inches. Besides, the Bounty Basic has a wider water fill opening to avoid making a mess when you pour water into the tank.
Of note is the Vacation Mode, where the planter limits the amount of water—up to 50 percent—so the plants will keep growing when you’re away for a while.
The 30-watt LED grow lights are an excellent light source. But, since they’re quite bright, they may not be favorable for night time use or bedrooms.
The good news is, you can schedule the light glow period based on your needs. Once scheduled, they will automatically shut down after 11–14 hours. So, you won’t need to turn it off manually before you go to sleep.
- Enough room for intensive fruits.
- Guaranteed germination.
- Smart vacation mode.
- LED lights.
- Adjustable light duration.
- Non-GMO seeds.
- Suitable for 24-inch plants.
- Customers report that the lights are bright for night time use.
AeroGarden Stainless Steel Bounty Elite⏤Most Durable and Decorative Option
- Grow mega cherry tomatoes, poblano peppers, and sweet bell peppers all year round with the Jumbo Veggies Seed Pod Kit
- Vegetable seeds are pre-seeded in the grow pods, which are made from pure Canadian Sphagnum Peat and provide soil-free, no-mess, indoor growing
- Vegetable plants require more growing space, so best results are achieved when no more than 3 Seed Pods are planted in a 12 Pod garden
With a 100 percent guarantee, this Bounty model can grow up to nine gourmet herbs in your indoor conditions, even if they grow as tall as 24 inches.
It has a nicely designed stainless steel finish that adds decor to your kitchen. Also, the metal makes it very durable and resistant against physical damage or corrosion.
Also, this AeroGarden hydroponic kit comes with a trademarked nutrient package. It includes nine pre-seed pods containing non-GMO thyme, mint, curly parsley, Italian parsley, chives and dill.
Customers mention how impressed they are with the interactive control panel, which reminds you when to add water, nourishment or illumination to your indoor greenhouse.
Besides this, it boasts high-tech features, such as Wi-Fi and Alexa connectivity for remote control. Through these, you can dim the lights as long as you want, or check the water level in three stages. On top of this, the vacation mode and sunrise/sunset feature make it even more hands-free.
A big downside is some customers report they’ve received a faulty package or that their Wi-Fi stops working after a while.
- Remote control through Wi-Fi/Alexa connectivity.
- Elegant look.
- Applicable in four seasons.
- Interactive control panel.
- Seed kit.
- Patented nourishing package.
- Vacation mode.
- Low-quality Wi-Fi.
AeroGarden Harvest Indoor Garden, 2019 Model⏤Budget Option
- INCLUDES GOURMET HERB SEED KIT (6-POD) - Genovese Basil, Curly Parsley, Dill, Thyme, Thai Basil and Mint & a 3oz bottle of our patented, all natural Plant Nutrients (enough for a full season of...
- ALWAYS HOMEGROWN: FRESH & SAFE - Up to 6 plants grow at a time, up to 12“ tall with this indoor garden. Grows in water - no soil, no mess, made simple.
- EASY TO USE (GROW) - control panel tells you when to add water, reminds you when to add plant food (included), automatically turns lights on and off for your indoor herb garden
This is an affordable six-pot planter that comes with six non-GMO herbs. It means if you want to grow thyme, curly parsley, Thai basil, mint, dill, or Genovese basil, you don’t need to buy their seeds.
On the front, it has an easy-to-use control panel that allows you to turn the features on and off. It also notifies you whenever it’s time to feed the plants. So, you no longer have to worry about the watering time.
This unit features full-spectrum LEDs that replace sunlight for the plants. With a 15-hour lighting setting, this planter lets your veggies receive all the light they need.
What’s more, these lights only use 20 watts of electricity, making them an extremely energy-efficient option.
Rather than growing your plants in soil, this unit uses only water. So you won’t have to deal with all the mess of traditional gardening.
You can use this four-season device to grow plants that reach as high as 12 feet.
Although the manufacturer has been clear about including a plant food package, some customers report receiving packages without it.
- Six herbs included.
- Plant food included.
- Low usage LED lights.
- Up to 12” illumination for 15 hours.
- Reports of missing pods or plant foods.
AeroGarden Stainless Steel Harvest Elite⏤Easy Setup
- INCLUDES GOURMET HERB SEED KIT (6 POD) Genovese Basil, Curly Parsley, Dill, Thyme, Thai Basil and Mint & nurtured by all natural, chemical free Miracle Gro Plant Food (enough for a full season of...
- PLANT TO PLATE Up to 6 plants grow at a time, up to 12 inches tall with this indoor garden; Grows in water no soil, no mess, made simple
- EASY TO USE: Digital display control panel includes vacation mode to keep your hydroponics growing system thriving when you're out of town and advanced garden settings for optimized growth
With this growing device, you can get your seeds sprouting in a matter of days and harvest them in weeks. This is down to the full-spectrum LED grow light bulbs that supercharge your plants’ growth.
Consuming roughly 20 Watts, these LED lights are very energy-efficient. Yet, they don’t sacrifice rapid photosynthesis for using low energy.
Also, the digital control panel automatically lowers and increases the illumination level, which means minimum user input is required. Moreover, it has a vacation mode that takes care of your plants while you’re away.
This model is a 6-pod garden with a grow deck of 12 inches. Like almost all other AeroGardens, it tells you when it’s time to add water. So, you’ll have fresh herbs all year round.
According to customer AeroGarden Reviews, the setup process is a breeze. But, a few customers say the kit’s buttons didn’t work straight away. Fortunately, the manufacturer offers a 30-day warranty for such flaws.
Not that the AeroGarden Harvest Elite comes with a collection of thymes, curly parsley, mint, Genovese basil, Thai basil and dill, so you don’t have to worry about buying seeds separately.
- Comprehensive seed kit.
- Easy setup.
- Automatic control panel.
- Good warranty policy.
- Low-quality buttons.
AeroGarden Sprout LED Gourmet Herb Seeds⏤Best for Novice Gardeners
- INCLUDES GOURMET HERB SEED KIT (3 POD) : Genovese Basil, Curly Parsley, and Dill & a 3oz bottle of our patented, all natural Plant Nutrients (enough for a full season of growth)
- PLANT TO PLATE : Up to 3 plants can be grown at a time, up to 10 inches tall; Plants grow in water, not soil; An advanced indoor garden made simple
- EASY TO USE : control panel tells you when to add water, reminds you when to add plant food (included), automatically turns lights on and off for your hydroponics growing system
Whether you live in a small apartment or just want to dip your toe in the waters of gardening, this is your ideal pick.
However, be aware that it holds no more than three seed pods. So, if you intend to grow a full selection of herbs, you’d better skip this.
This is an affordable AeroGarden with a full spectrum grow light that uses 10 watts of energy. So, you won’t see a surge in your electricity bill. The grow light is tunable, and it works automatically.
With a straightforward user manual, this AeroGarden is very easy to assemble, setup, and use.
You won’t get advanced features like Wi-Fi connectivity or a touch screen with this model. But it has a control panel that alarms you whenever it’s time to add water. You will also receive basil, dill, and parsley seeds once you order the unit.
The Sprout AeroGarden feedback indicates that it works well in growing your cooking veggies. But, the pump is rather noisy, and it can stop working very soon. Besides, the cord is not very long due to the unit’s compact design.
- Compact design.
- Tunable lights.
- Control panel notifications.
- Seed pods kit.
- Reports of faulty or noisy pumps.
- No smartphone or Wi-Fi connectivity.
- Short cords.
AeroGarden Farm Plus 24″⏤Best for Experienced Gardeners
- NEW VERSION AVAILABLE - there is a newer version of this garden that has recently launched. Please see AeroGarden Farm 24Plus (2020 Model).
This herb garden boasts 24 growing holes, and it’s great for those who insist on having a whole collection of home-planted vegetables. However, since it’s not a countertop model, you shouldn’t consider it unless you have enough floor-space to put it on.
It comes with a free seed kit, containing three herbs, four cherry tomatoes, and nine lettuce seed pods. It also includes a 3-ounce bottle of nutrients so you won’t have to pay extra money to buy one.
Taking a close look at the Farm Plus AeroGarden feedback, this unit’s most appealing part is the suspendable top. It means you can adjust the height on each side of the uint to grow various herbs. To boot, the maximum growth deck is 24 inches, which is ideal for tall plants.
Although the LED lights consume 60 Watts of energy, they’re very fast in nourishing your plants and will optimize the photosynthesis process. You can also set different lighting settings for each side of the device.
It also has a nice touch screen, and the in-built Wi-Fi ensures you can also control your greenery’s status from the comfort of a mobile app.
- Rapid photosynthesis.
- 24 pods.
- Applicable for tall plants up to 24 inches.
- High-performance lights.
- Free seed kit included.
- Wi-Fi and mobile app technology
- Two independent sides.
- Adjustable light and height.
- High power use.
- Not suitable for small houses.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who Should Buy the AeroGarden?
You should buy an AeroGarden if you are any of the following:
- All thumbs when it comes to gardening.
- Live in a small apartment but love gardening.
- Want to grow veggies all-year-round.
- Forget to water your plants.
- Spend most of the day in your office.
- Travel often.
- Want healthy and fresh veggies for cooking.
- Require a mess-free and quick planting.
How Long Does AeroGarden Last?
An AeroGarden pod lasts nearly six months. However, this is on average. Some customers report their pods lasting four months, while another harvested their pepper for almost a year.
Is Aerogarden Safe?
AeroGardens are totally safe and free of risks. The lamps are not too hot to burn your pets, and there haven’t been any reports of serious hazards, such as electric shocks. What’s more, with an AeroGarden, you eliminate the need for harmful pesticides, so they aren’t dangerous to your health.
The combination of robust demand for fresh herbs and the challenging outdoor gardening process has created a new wave of popularity for AeroGarden kits.
From our AeroGarden reviews, the AeroGarden Bounty Basic Indoor Hydroponic Herb Garden wins the top pick. Its stand-out feature is that it merges a nine-pot capacity and a non-GMO seed kit with a 24-inch grow neck and a 100 percent sprouting guarantee.
However, if you’re an amateur gardener, it’s better to go for the AeroGarden Sprout LED. And, if you need to grow a variety of fresh herbs for a large family, the AeroGarden Farm Plus 24″ is a good option.