If red is your favorite color, or if the color red ties in really nicely with the theme of your interior decor, a houseplant that sports red leaves might suit you quite nicely.
Whilst we might be focusing on the color red, it might surprise you to find out how many species of plant have red leaves of some kind – variations in hue, vibrancy, and pattern, as well as species, mean that some red-leafed plants look completely different from others.
We’ll get into some of the best examples below.
10 Houseplants With Red Leaves
The beautiful tricolor stromanthe plant features green and white leaves with deep, pink-red colored undersides.
This plant brings a pop of color, and it’s easy to care for, too!
Make sure to provide your stromanthe with plenty of bright, indirect light, and avoid any direct sunlight as this may burn its leaves. Stromanthe prefer to be watered around once a week, and enjoy an environment with high humidity.
- Stromanthe Plant Pot: Stromanthe sanguinea tricolor plant, a member of the Maranta family, is a beautiful house plant with beautiful, distinctive leaves. The tops of the leaves are variegated white...
- Indoor Plant: The exquisite tri-colored plant is a relative of the prayer plant. The leaves of Stromanthe sanguinea fold up at night, and it looks as if it is praying. The USDA hardiness zone for...
- Easy Maintenance: Stromanthe plants are low-maintenance and easy to care for; the plants prefer bright indirect sunlight, with the ideal temperature being 65–80 °F. A heat pack is also included for...
The croton is a gorgeous houseplant, which also goes by the name of “Joseph’s Coat”. This nickname alludes to the wide range of colors, as well color combinations, that this plant comes in, meaning that you can find one to fit your specific interior needs with ease.
The croton plant benefits from watering little and often, a humid environment, and a good amount of sunlight, as it’s sunlight that helps the leaves to stay so vibrant.
- Petra Croton Plant Pot: Petra Croton is a beautiful evergreen shrubby plant that features large, thick, leathery, and shiny leaves variegated with various color shades such as orange, red, pink,...
- Indoor Plants: Native to southern Asia and the western Pacific Islands, Petra Croton plants are famous for their spectacularly colorful foliage. These plants look great as ornamental outdoor shrubs....
- Easy Maintenance: Petra Croton plants are easy to care for; they grow well in bright indirect light, moist soil, and high humidity, with the ideal temperature being 60–75° F. A heat pack is...
The red star dracaena sports long, shard-like leaves that are dark-red in color with a striking appearance.
This plant can grow up to ten feet tall. This plant would look amazing in the corner of a spacious room, but can also be kept outside.
These plants like bright, indirect light, a warm, humid environment, and regular watering, provided the soil is allowed to dry slightly in between to prevent overwatering.
- Red Star Hawaiian Ti Plant - Cordyline - Swordlike Leaves -2.5" Pot- Indoors/Out
- Keep evenly moist, not wet or dry
The begonia rex, also known as the king begonia, is a perennial, with leaves that can come in a variety of colors – including a stunning red.
Begonia rex plants have large, variegated leaves (when a leaf has more than one color), so there is a huge range of colors to choose from when selecting a begonia rex for your home.
These plants prefer to be in bright rooms, (provided that they don’t receive any direct light, as this can scorch their leaves), and warm, humid environments.
To water, make sure to check that the soil is slightly dry to avoid overwatering, and you’re good to go.
- This Item DOES NOT SHIP TO CALIFORNIA.
- A lovely assortment of rex begonias. Our growers will hand select one of the best available for the pictured assortment.
- They are tropical plants, prized for their colorfully patterned and intriguingly shaped leaves. Although they are at home in a shady garden, they are also popular as houseplants.
Coleus is another houseplant that comes in a stunning shade of red.
This variety of houseplant features beautiful variegated leaves that can range in color – some with more of a wash of red, others with a bright border of another color.
If given a sunny or partly shaded spot in the home, their leaves will stay their most vibrant. Coleus plants prefer moist, well-draining soil, so wait for the soil to dry slightly before watering – but don’t let it get too dry. Keeping your coleus plant in the kitchen or the bathroom will help you to achieve the warm, humid environment that a coleus plant thrives in.
- Velvet Red Coleus is a true wonder in the gardening world.
- Brilliantly colored burgundy red leaves are dazzled with lighter magenta veining, all with the smallest white margins!
- You truly will not find another coleus plant like it! Add this compact and tight formed coleus plant to the other colors of your shade garden and you will be the envy of your neighbor sowing 2 - 3...
It’s clear where the nerve plant gets its name – the nerve plant is adorned with green leaves, featuring colored ‘veining’ that might remind you of nerves. Nerve plants come in a variety of colors, including red – and this variety has a striking appearance, in particular. One of these unique plants would make a beautiful centerpiece.
Nerve plants can be fussy around their watering requirements – not enough water will leave them dehydrated, and too much water can lead to root rot and fungal problems.
They prefer high humidity environments and do really well when kept in a terrarium.
The polka dot plant is another beautiful plant with variegated leaves, mainly green with speckles of colors ranging from white to lilac, to red.
The polka dot plant can grow up to two and a half feet high, as well as wide, so you really can completely transform a space with this gorgeous plant.
Polka dot plants really enjoy their warm, humid environments, but they also enjoy the shade, which makes them perfect houseplants.
- All of our listings have very representative pictures of what you would receive.
- This plant comes fully rooted in a 3" pot, ready to grow in and your beautiful home or your office.
- California Tropicals
The caladium plant, which can sometimes be referred to as ‘elephant ear’, has large, variegated leaves that can appear in a range of vibrant colors – including a beautiful, deep, red.
Caladiums can come in a range of different variations of red – some have red bases with dark veining, whereas others have green bases with red veining.
Caladium plants can burn when subjected to direct sunlight, so bright, indirect light is much better. They enjoy being watered little and often to ensure that their soil stays moist, and warm, humid environments with consistent temperatures.
- Great shade garden plant, bur Red Flash does good in the sun as well / Leaves more beautiful then flowers / Plant them in the garden, hanging baskets, pots, barrels, or tubs. /
- Known for their lush contrasting edges, veins and multi-colored tropical foliage / Red Flash is a big and tall very popular red caladium variety / With proper care they will last for years
- Bulb Size: #1 / Shade lover / Blooms all summer
This houseplant comes in a great range of colors, as well as patterns – including a beautiful, red shade. Some peperomias may feature red undersides, whereas others have deep purple-red coloring all over – the color combinations are vast, making them perfect for your home.
Peperomia can be relied on to handle low-light environments, making it brilliant as a houseplant. It enjoys high humidity, meaning that hanging it in your bathroom, near your shower, can help this plant to thrive.
Ensure to check the soil of your peperomia before watering, as the humidity of your bathroom may mean that the soil takes longer to dry out, causing overwatering if you aren’t careful.
Heuchera plants, also known as coral bells, are another plant species that come in a vast array of colors, including some stunning, deep, red-purple shades.
Heuchera plants have thin, papery edges that can curl inwards slightly, and look gorgeous when displayed on a windowsill.
Heuchera enjoy moist, well-draining soil, and darker colors of heuchera can tolerate more sunlight than lighter colors. Watering your heuchera plant at least once a week, and ensuring that its soil is still moist underneath, will help you to maintain your heuchera’s hydration.
- Heuchera micrantha plants provide lovely white flowers from early spring through mid-summer. The flowers are great for cutting and add beauty to any arrangement.
- Also known as Coral Bells, these perennial plants are good for Zones 4 - 8 and prefer moist soil and a partial sun exposure in the hot summer areas.
- Start these flower seeds with a cold treatment to help break dormancy. Use 7 or 8 seeds per plant. Palace Purple plants have mounding foliage with flowers that rise above the foliage on wispy stems...
Houseplants provide a much-needed pop of life and color to any space, and finding a houseplant that incorporates nicely into your home decor is important.
Hopefully, our list of 10 Houseplants With Red Leaves has helped you to narrow down your search.
Meet the water, humidity, and light requirements of these red-leafed houseplants, and we’re certain these vibrant plants will thrive within your space.