It’s yours if you’re the first to name it correctly, that’s right! We do this every Tuesday-plant trivia. Facebook it, email it, call us, however you want-be the first to get it right and you get one of them FREE!! Need help naming plants or more around your house? Let us know, we can come out and do a FREE evaluation of your landscape. Since 1945-Harper’s Home Grown…It Is What We Do and Who We Are
It has been a couple of weeks since we have had a “Name That Plant Contest”. So here you go-This often forgotten plant is sold mostly as a cool season annual, but it will live year round here given the right placement! Who ever gets the name out there first, whether via facebook or direct email wins one FREE!!
Harper’s 3rd Saturday Garden Club Metting is this Saturday!
Don’t You Just Love OCTOBER???We sure do. Nice cool evenings and warm days make for the perfect growing weather. No matter if it is starting your winter lawn or planting petunias, geraniums,or winter vegetables-the 60 degree nights and 90 degree days are the best! We hope you’ll join us this weekend, especially Saturday to learn more about how to get the most out of your garden!!
Our garden club meets at 10 am at both locations. Integrity Tree Service will be conducting in Scottsdale. The topic will be how to help your plants recover from a hot stressful summer. Jeff and Jay Harper will be in Mesa talking about fall gardening and introducing our early order fruit tree program.
Hope to see you in the garden this weekend! Good Growin’.
For anyone with a child (one per family) and for as long as supply lasts-this Saturday!!
Come on in and bring the family. Get a pumpkin and learn about fall gardening, tree trimming, ponds, and early order fruit trees, PLUS grab some of our newly arrived Geraniums, Mums, Vegetables and Herbs!! Fall is for Gardening and It Starts Now-Just Plant Something!!
3RD SATURDAY EVENT SCHEDULE AND LINEUP
10AM at Scottsdale location-Integrity Tree Service-will discuss how to get your trees and shrubs back in shape after a long hot summer!
At Scottsdale from 9-2 Frank The Farmer’s Produce Stand, the Pond Gnome and Free adivce on Care,Construction and Maintaining a pond!!
At Mesa at 10am- The Harper Boys will discuss what to do in the garden now that it is Fall.
Special Order Fruit Trees- Order your deciduous Fruit Trees now and get the exact variety you want this winter. 20% OFF any order over $100 placed Saturday! This is a great way to customize your back yard orchard-we’ll show you how at our MESA location starting this Saturday. Orders must be placed by November 1st!
FREE PUMPKINS AT BOTH LOCATIONS-ONE PER FAMILY WITH CHILDREN WHILE THEY LAST!!
These are exciting times around the Garden and at Harper’s Let’s Kick OFF The Fall Season together!! Hope to see you Saturday In The Garden!!
Fall never quite seems to get here soon enough does it? We should know it isn’t much different year to year. I’m sure it is like winter not wanting to go away in May back East. Summer hangs on just a little longer than we always want here.
New shipments of fall vegetables, flowers,seeds and more are arriving almost daily now as we try and guess when it will be cool enough to plant.
I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait to get my pots redone, and flower beds planted. I just think I’ll start this weekend-how about you? See you in the Garden-Good Growin’.
What Do We Do Now?
- If you are planting a winter lawn-start mowing a little shorter each week now so that by mid to late October you don’t have such a huge job and pile of clippings. We have ryegrass in stock now and some attractive package pricing if you’re ahead of the game.
- If you have yuccas or agaves-treat with Grub Free Zone. We have been seeing a lot of Agave Snout Weevil activity on these plants. Unfortunately by the time you see the evidence the plant is usually dead so preventative treatment is your best option. They usually show up in late Summer to early Fall. See the picture for what the damage done is like .
- Vegetable gardens should be going in and or being prepared. Don’t plant until the soil is ready, take the time you’ll be more successful and glad you did. Cool season plants and seeds are in stock-think leaves, stems, and roots!!
- Early shipments of Petunias, Alyssum,Lobelia, and Snapdragons have arrived. Again don’t plant until soil is prepard. Use plenty of Omni, gypsum, and Ferti lome Start and Grow to get the plants of to a good start. If annuals slow down or set back it is hard to get them going again.
- Citrus trees are or should be pushing lots of new growth, recovering from a hot August. Be sure to fertilize them right away with Organo Citrus Food. Getting this new growth out and hardened off before cold weather ( I know, what is that) sets in is very important. And most citrus really needs to put on some new growth after a record hot August and the damage it caused not only on citrus but lots of other landscape plants!
- Control spurge and other weeds as they come up and are young-they are much easier to kill when small. If you aren’t going to plant a winter lawn- apply pre emergent herbicides now. If you have granite, now is the best time to control winter weeds, with pre emergent before the winter rains come.
- Remember without the Gardener, there is no Garden-It is time to get out there!!
- Remember to like our facebook page (see link above) for daily garden happenings and info-you also get $5 OFF your first purchase by bringing in the page. Also be sure to listen to our Garden Show-the first hour of the “Rosie On The House” program every Saturday at 8am on KTAR 92.3fm. There is always a tip and a link to a coupon to save 20% Off on any 1 Gro Well item every week!
Tuesday is game day @ Harper’s! Name that plant- the first one to name the plant pictured via email, phone call, pony express, facebook, however- is the winner!!! We hope you are getting excited for Fall gardening approaching- we are and we’re getting new shipments in now on a regular basis. All the new seeds are in stock and we are anxiously awaiting bulbs, onions, and garlic which should arrive mid-September. We will certainly keep you posted and up to date on any new arrivals! Good luck and Good Growin’.